This film is set in the Mayan times where it narrates the facts of hate, love and violence that took place between the tribes of different groups.The protagonist is Garra-Jaguar, a young Indian who is accompanied by his father, his friends and brothers when they are captured by another enemy tribe (Mayan) and taken to be sacrificed to their gods in a brutal way.
Then something unexpected happened with Garra-Jaguar at the moment of being sacrificed, a solar eclipse occurred which saved his life and meant that the god Kukulkan was satisfied and fed with the blood of the other victims. Garra-Jaguar thenhas to go through more trials and maybe get revenge on the tribe that murdered his family and friends.
Discover more movies like Apocalypto with similar themes of old tribes, rivalries and conflict in ancient times, that includes fighting, getting revenge and even romance:
Movies Similar to 'Apocalypto':
1. The New World (2005)The New World is an epic adventure about the meeting of European and Native American cultures during the creation of the Jamestown colony in 1607. Inspired by the legend of John Smith and Pocahontas, this classic story is a sweeping exploration of love, loss and discovery, celebrating both the America of the past and the one to come.
Against the dramatic backdrop of a perfect Eden inhabited by a great civilization, the movie tells the story of two strong characters, a passionate native woman of high lineage and an ambitious fortune hunter who find themselves torn between the demands of their civic duties and those of their hearts.A perfect follow-up if you are interested in more movies like Apocalypto, this will fascinate you as it is actually based on real history.
Also Recommend: Movies Like Jumanji (1995)
2. Valhalla Rising (2010)Set in 10th century Scandinavia, at the beginning of the film it talks about the loneliness of man (who happens to be a one eyed warrior) and nature. An inhospitable, violent and wild world represented in the figure of a man with only one eye as a viewfinder, without words and with a physical and symbolic force beyond all doubt. After a suggestive beginning, Valhalla Rising gets submerges itself into the symbols, metaphors and religious allegories with a good rhythm leading to where this journey to the Holy Land is going to end. The exquisite beauty and pace of this movie will fascinate the viewer, especially if you like movies like Apocalypto, that share such dark but captivating themes.
Also Recommend: Movies Like Lord of The Rings (Series)
3. Seven Samurai (1954)The story takes place in Japan in the 16th century, where a peasant village is attacked constantly by armed bandits who steal their crops. The farmers are tired of the situation so they decide to hire the services of real samurai to protect them from the threat. Veteran Shimura's Kambei accepts the challenge. He recruits six true samurai who teach the peasants to believe in defending themselves from bandits. They will gain confidence and with the help of these 7 Samurai, they will have a real chance at fighting off the enemy. This is an all-time classic and a must watch not only for fans of movies like Apocalypto, but fans of movies in general. An absolute masterpiece!
Also Recommend: Movies Like Ready Player One
4. The Emerald Forest (1985)While building a dam in Brazil, the young son of an engineer named Bill Markham is kidnapped by a tribe known as "the invisible men". After ten years of unsuccessful search, Markham finally manages to find him.
The film manages its emotional resources well (the attachment to the land and natural values, or the parent-child relationships are filmed and transmitted with sufficiency), and when the plot addresses more physical and adventurous issues it does so with subtlety and never loses a quasi-mystical tone, providing the entertaining action with a mysterious and spiritual atmosphere.
Also Recommend: Movies Like Braveheart (1995)
5. The Last Samurai (2003)Nathan Algren lives a not very encouraging moment in his life. He is a man who once had a deep-rooted concept of honor and country, and for them he had fought in battles that are now distant and useless to him. Nathan wonders what sense it made to fight to sow barbarism, for example, among the Indian community in his country, something he is not at all proud of. Drowned in alcohol, he now only fights for money so he accepts a contract to go to Japan and fight the samurai, in an attempt by the Japanese government to westernize its army. When he arrives in the East, Nathan begins by training the inexperienced soldiers until he is kidnapped by the samurai.
Among these brave warriors Algren meets Katsumoto, the last leader of the ancient lineage of warriors who are the revered samurai. In the company of Katsumoto, the American discovers again the meaning of honor and sacrifice. The paths of these two warriors converge and their union will be remembered for a long time.Surviving and befriending the Samurai, this movie will keep you entertained if you’re into movies like Apocalypto.
Also Recommend: Movies Like The Shawshank Redemption
More films to watch if you liked 'Apocalypto':
6. 10,000 BC (2008)
7. Ben-Hur (1959)
8. Legends of the Fall (1994)
9. Alpha (2018)
10. Dances with Wolves (1990)
11. Kings Of The Sun (1963)
12. The Eagle (2011)